I moved to New Zealand from England in 1987 to start a new phase of my life and was not sure what that new life would be. I had a background in working in banks in London in a support role to senior directors and managers and I knew my passion was working with people but had not found the place where I thrived and was passionate about my work. I undertook study in Human Resources but that was not for me. I then volunteered for Lifeline and in 1998 went on to study for a Diploma in Counselling at the Human Development and Training Institute of New Zealand and finally found out what I was meant to be doing with my life.
Professional Qualifications & Professional Development
Diploma in Counselling (HD&T)
Graduate Diploma in Health Science (Psychotherapeutic Studies) (AUT)
Certificate in Supervision (HD&T)
Member NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC) (2003)
As a member of NZAC, I have a commitment to on-going professional development within my practice. I attend regular professional supervision to ensure safe practice.
"Life doesn't just happen, we make it happen, and sometimes we need a companion on the journey." This is my basic philosophy regarding the work that I do. As a counsellor I am in someone's life for a period of time to help them work through issues that they might find difficult to discuss with family or friends. I do this by:
• creating a confidential and safe place for you to discuss problems you are having in your life
• being someone who is non-judgmental, empathic and objective
• a person outside of your normal relationships who helps you to focus on the issues in hand
• helping you work through your thoughts and feelings, allowing you to see things from a different perspective
• assisting you to identify and overcome obstacles that prevent you from achieving your goals and motivating you to accomplish more than you would alone
I have many years of experience as a counsellor which means that I have a wide range of tools for helping people in all sorts of situations. I am very open to whatever problems people have, and will adjust my counselling methods to suit your needs. I have helped individuals and couples with:
• relationship issues
• grief and loss
• self-esteem and confidence building
• anger management
• assertiveness skills
• family issues
• career development
• workplace issues
• conflict resolution
• mediation regarding care of children
• workplace supervision
Wednesday afternoons, Thursday and Friday
Please call the office (07 578 0959) or email email@example.com to make a time that is suitable to you.
I am also contactable on my mobile: 027 459 1478
Fees apply to booking a 1 hour session
Individual counselling is $100 per session and couples counselling is $110.
We can discuss access to funding you may be eligible for through WINZ or your employer (EAP).